Registration Handbook for 2021
Below is the handbook for registering for iGEM 2021. Please take a look through this information carefully.
If you have any questions, please email us at hq [AT] igem [DOT] org.
The first step in the entire iGEM registration process is to create a user account for yourself. Everyone must have a user account - PIs, instructors, students, advisors, and anyone else on the team. You will need an igem.org user account In order to:
- join the official team roster
- access and edit content on your team wiki pages
- access and edit content on the Registry wiki pages
It is extremely important that you have a user account!
In order to create an account, go to the create an account page by clicking on "Log in/create an account" in the upper right corner. It will look like image 1.
When you're creating your user account, you will be asked for TWO names: your real name and your user name. Your user name will only be used to log in to iGEM and the Registry. Your real name will be used for everything else - including keeping track of edits that you make, attributing credit to anything that you have done, and any other presence that you have on iGEM and the Registry. Your user/login name can be anything that you want but your real name must take the form [first name] [last name]. Your real name must be in English, otherwise it will not print correctly on your participation certificate at the end of the season. At this time, we can only accept characters A-Z and numbers 0-9 (username only); special characters are not supported.
When you create an account you will be asked for the school or organization you are affiliated with. This is NOT the name of the iGEM team you are on. This is the school that you attend or the organization that you are with. Once you have created a user account, you will automatically have a user page.
If you ever forget your user name or your password, you can come back to the login page:
- If you forget your user name, you can contact HQ to retrieve your user name.
- If you forget your password, you can enter your user name and a new password can be emailed to you.
Team Account and Application
In order to participate in iGEM, you must first apply for your team. You must be a team PI in order to apply for a team - student members are not allowed to apply for a team. Instructions for the team application can be find on the Competition Registration page.
Adding a Secondary PI
To add a secondary PI, the primary PI must add the user to the team roster. To do so, please follow these steps:
- First, make sure the secondary PI has a user account.
- Log in to igem.org
- Go to the Team List and click on your team name.
- Halfway down your Team Information page, in the Controlling Team Membership box, click on Add A Member.
- Search for the user you want to add using their full name, not user name.
Alternatively, the secondary PI can join the team using the Join A Team page.
See the Team Requirements page for details on why teams need to have a primary PI and are strongly encouraged to have a secondary PI.
Since HS rosters are controlled by iGEM HQ -- see below -- HS secondary PIs cannot be added by the primary PI. Instead, secondary PIs must join the team directly using the Join A Team page as a pending team member.
Managing Team Roster
The team roster can be built up in three ways:
- The team PIs (except High School team PIs; see below) will receive a team registration code that they can provide to team members. Team members can then create user accounts and add themselves to the team roster with the registration code by joining the team at https://igem.org/Join_Team.
- When team members create their user accounts, they will be able to join an existing iGEM team as pending members if they do not have the registration code. Team PIs and instructors will be able to accept pending memberships by logging in and going to the Team Information page.
- Team PIs can also manually add team members to the team roster by inputting their user names into the Team Information page. In order to do this, the team members must have already created their user accounts. This last method of adding team members is the most time-consuming since the PIs will need to select from a list of all matching user names.
To view your team roster, go to the iGEM 2021 Main Page, and click on the list icon in the upper right corner to view the drop-down navigation menu. Click on Teams and go to Team List to view the complete list of teams, and then click on your team name.
For high school teams, iGEM HQ has to manage the roster instead of the team PIs because we require consent forms for all participants. Your team members should join as pending members using the Join a Team page and once iGEM HQ receives their respective consent forms, we will approve their application to join the team. Because the high school teams are typically comprised of minors, we must be more strict with membership and permissions.