BNU-China aims to construct a cheater-proof platform for industrial production to manage the problem of genetic instability. In the course of our project, we utilized Escherichia coli DH5α and Escherichia coli BL21 as our chassis, both of which have been well understood and have been proved to be relatively safe to humans and environment. We also manipulated Staphylococcus aureus str. NCTC4137, a conditional pathogen for humans, and Clostridium sporogenes (classified as BSL-2 according to German TRBA and classified as a harmless BSL-1 organism by the American Type Culture Collection.) for their genomes under instructor’s guidance and strict laboratory regulation in our certified BSL-2 laboratory.
In addition, we designed a blue light induced killing switch for our microorganism in case of accidental leak of engineered bacteria. In conclusion, we carefully evaluated potential risk and actively sought for the corresponding solution.
All members in BNU-China received strict research training and safety education before working in the lab. Also, the entire team is under the supervision by instructors and is in full compliance with the safety and security policies of the iGEM competition. Our laboratory has equipment for both BSL-2 and BSL-1 criteria and is well qualified to manipulate microbes above.
1. Laboratory Biosafety Manual (2004)
2. Laboratories - General requirements for biosafety (2008)
3. Technical Specifications for Laboratory Hazardous Waste Pollution Prevention and Control (2017)
4. Environmental Protection Law of the People's Republic of China（2015)
5. Regulations on Biosafety Management of Pathogenic Microorganism Laboratories (2004)
6. Basic techniques of synthetic biology (training course)